Whitby Swing Bridge
Whitby Swing Bridge on a winters evening. The River Esk has been crossed at this location for centuries joining the East and West Banks of Whitby. The bridge has been modified over the years the original fixed type been replaced by a draw bridge and then in 1833 the first swing bridge open and was designed by Francis Pickernell.
This image also offers views of the RNLI Lifeboat House and the fishing trawlers moored on the west side of the Esk. Behind the bridge many of the smaller pleasure boats are moored further up the river, and sitting on the edge of the Esk is Whitby’s last boat yard Parkol Marine builders of the Locker families famous Our Lass 3.