Whitby Whalebones 2017
The impressive whale bone arch that stands proudly on Whitby’s West Cliff must surely, and especially when seen for the first time; evoke admiration from Whitby’s many visitors. The monument, which is the actual jaw bone of a whale; stands overlooking the ruins of the town’s medieval abbey. A tribute to the whaling industry that thrived in Whitby in the 18th and 19th centuries, the current whale bone arch is not the original structure; but is in fact the third of its kind to stand there. The first whale bones were placed on the West Cliff in 1853 they were replaced in 1963 and then again in 2002. The original bones now reside in the Whitby Archive Heritage Centre where they serve as a reminder of the very dangerous trade of whale hunting.