Whitby Whale Bones
These bones stand at the top of Khyber Pass looking out across the mouth of the River Esk, as a monument to the towns past. The first whaling ship left Whitby in 1753 and by 1795 the town had become a major whaling port. In 1814 eight whaling ships caught 172 whales. Whale bone was used to make stays, and blubber was boiled to produce oil for lamps and street lighting until it was replaced by gas. By 1831 the demand for whale products became so low that by this date only one whaling ship remained, the Phoenix.